Testing and Study Guides
The My Career Advancement Account Scholarship pays for many tests and preparatory courses of study that lead directly to a recognized professional, state, regional or national occupational license or certification.
In order to receive payment, testing organizations and schools offering preparatory courses must be a registered participant in the My Career Advancement Account Scholarship program. Visit the Schools Resources page for more information on how to become a participating organization.
Tests and Materials that the My Career Advancement Account Scholarship does NOT pay for:
- College Entrance Tests (e.g. SAT, LSAT, GRE, etc.) or preparatory courses that help students prepare to enter college
- DANTES Administered Tests (e.g. ACT, CLEP, etc.) used to determine college level credit and advanced placement. These tests are generally available at no or low cost to military servicemembers and spouses at Installation Education Services Offices.
- Study guides, books, supplies and electronic equipment.
- Which occupations require a license or certification
- Which testing organizations administer tests for licenses and certifications
- Which testing organizations are currently participating in the My Career Advancement Account Scholarship program:
- AMERICAN ACADEMY OF FAMILY PHYSICIANS
- AMERICAN BOARD OF FAMILY MEDICINE
- AMERICAN BOARD OF PATHOLOGY
- AMERICAN COUNCIL ON EXERCISE
- AMERICAN HEALTH INFORMATION MANAGEMENT ASSOCIATION
- AMERICAN OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY ASSOCIATION
- AMERICAN PHYSICAL THERAPY ASSOCIATION
- AMERICAN SPEECH HEARING ASSOCIATION
- BOARD OF CERTIFICATION FOR EMERGENCY NURSING
- EDUCATION SERVICE CENTER REGION 12 SOUTH
- EDUCATION SERVICE CENTER REGION III
- EDUCATION SERVICE CENTER, REGION 20
- EDUCATION SERVICE CENTER-REGION 19
- EDUCATIONAL TESTING SERVICES, PRAXIS DEPARTMENT
- INTERNATIONAL SPORTS SCIENCES ASSOCIATION
- NATIONAL BOARD FOR CERTIFIED COUNSELORS
- NATIONAL CERT BOARD FOR THERAPEUTIC MASSAGE
- NATIONAL COUNCIL FOR THERAPEUTIC RECREATION CERTIFICATION
- NATIONAL HEALTHCAREER ASSOCIATION
- NCCPA - NATIONAL COMMISSION ON CERTIFICATION OF PHYSICIANS ASSISTANTS
- NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF STATE BOARDS OF ACCOUNTANCY
- NATIONAL PHARMACY TECHNICIAN ASSOCIATION
Visit these Websites
- Visit your school’s website to see if they offer license and certification preparatory courses
Visit the Alternative High School Diploma programs (below) if you want to take a test to get your High School Diploma
- Here are three low cost options:
- GED Testing Program
- National External Diploma Program (NEDP)
Contact Your County Public School District Adult Education Program for local GED, High School Completion Program, and English as A Second Language tests and classes.
NOTE: Use the above link in the “Find Out” section above to see if the program you are interested in is participating in My Career Advancement Account Scholarship. If they are not, you may have to find additional funding to pay for your chosen Alternative High School Diploma program.
Test Prep Services and Study Guides
The My Career Advancement Account Scholarship ONLY pays for tuition and costs for tests that directly result in an occupational license or certification. The My Career Advancement Account Scholarship does not pay for Study Guides.
Before you buy any test prep services or study guides, contact your Military Education Service Officer or Navy College Education Specialist at your nearest military installation for advice and consumer warnings.
Approved testing organizations have received numerous complaints regarding test preparation companies selling highly questionable products and services for hundreds or thousands of dollars. Beware of:
- Attempts to sell you prep services for many tests at once, with payment up front or on credit.
- Credit arrangements with a company other than the one selling you the prep service.
- Direct sales contact at your home.
- Promises that you can get college credit without enrolling in college.
- Book lists that include dictionaries or encyclopedias.